Thursday, June 05, 2014

Looking Back At Weapons of the Gods

This is one of those RPGs that I regret never having had the chance to run. My copy was a gift from Brad Elliott for running some Unhallowed Metropolis events for EOS Press, back at my first Gen Con. While I had never read the comic, the idea of it was cool sounding, and I liked the idea of the scope of the game. It may not show from the stuff that I run nowadays, but I love big, epic RPGs and I don't get to run them enough. Honestly, I think this comes from my love of super-heroes and comics. Regardless, this isn't a review, or anything like that. It is just a semi-organized collection of my thoughts on the game.

Written by R. Sean Borgstrom (now known as Jenna Moran) and Elliott, Weapons of the Gods is really my only look into the realms of Wuxia role-playing. I've liked a few of the movies in the genre that I've seen, but overall it has never really sucked me in as do some other genres do.

Why, then, did this game suck me in, and why do I regret never having had the chance to run it?

That's a good question.

I wish that I had some better answers. For me, the mechanics of Weapons of the Gods share some similarities with Godlike, the originator of the One Roll Engine rules. I'm sure that some will disagree with me, and admittedly my memories of the system are foggy, but the mechanics came across as similar to me. The one thing that I like best about the game is the mechanic called "The River." The River is a combination reserve of dice and a resource management strategy that allows you to take dice from rolls that you make and "float" them into the River, saving them for later in a session when you may need the matches in a more important roll. I like the idea of sacrificing now for a potential benefit later because it matches my concepts of what heroism is supposed to be.

Still, it was an interesting game and I am sorry that I didn't get a chance to run it. I'm not sure that y current approach to gaming has a place for it, which is definitely a bad thing for me.

There is also Legends of the Wulin, a kind of/sort of second edition of Weapons of the Gods that came out as a generic form of the game, not tied to the licensed world of the comics.

Do you have a game that you regret never having had a chance to play or run? What is it and why. The why is the important part, much more important than any list of games.